The Press Release:
To our queer geek community, 2021 has finally arrived, and with it we begin a new year of planning for this year’s Flame Con! 2020 presented us with several hard decisions and new challenges, especially around how best to keep everyone safe and provide as much of a Flame Con experience as possible. Several decisions were entirely out of our hands. 2021 is presenting us with very similar challenges.
COVID-19 continues to be the primary factor in our ability to hold an in person event safely. We are still in contract with the Sheraton Times Square, but are largely at the mercy of the venue’s priorities, the laws governing the city of New York and, of course, the pace of vaccine distribution across the country. Like many conventions, we currently have two imperfect options to choose from. If we preemptively cancel the event, before state & local authorities have expressly forbidden large gatherings, we forfeit our deposit with the venue. If we wait for authorities to make a decision on events like ours, we likely won’t know if an in-person Flame Con is possible until just before this August. As a non-profit with a modest budget, forfeiting the deposit to the venue would risk our ability to come back for another year. So, unfortunately, we must wait.